Whether you are interested in opening your own physical therapy clinic or you are just looking to expand your current practice, physical therapy house calls may be the solution to help you get started or increase your revenue. With a steady growth in our senior and baby boomer population, the healthcare community has also experienced a continual increase in the number of patients that have slipped through the cracks and are not being treated by either a home health agency or an outpatient physical therapy clinic.
As a result, this unmet need presents PT’s with a tremendous opportunity to offer outpatient therapy services to patients in the comfort of their own home. Before we talk about a few key benefits for both PT’s and the patients, let’s take a look at some notable statistics about our Medicare and baby boomer population that certainly support this growth opportunity for your practice.
According to the CMS, there are 48.9 million Medicare enrollees in 2011. This total represents 40.4 million aged persons and 8.5 million disabled persons.
- There are nearly 80 million people in the “baby boomer” generation.
- Beginning January 1st, 2011 more than 10,000 baby boomers a day will reach age 65.
- In 2011, 13% of the U.S. population is age 65 or older.
- In 2030, 18% of the U.S. population will be age 65 or older.
- Approximately 2.8 million baby boomers will become eligible for Medicare in 2011.
So what do these statistics mean for the physical therapy industry?
Short Answer: Opportunity and Growth.
- Improved patient compliance by eliminating patient no-shows
- More efficient time management by eliminating patients showing up late to their appointment
- Minimal risk and less capital needed to get your practice started by eliminating big ticket items such as a lease and equipment expenses
- Less overhead and time spent managing staff and administrative hassles
- No worries about transportation and parking
- Elimination of time spent in a waiting room
- Greater convenience and scheduling flexibility
“The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.” - Peter F. Drucker
If you are interested in starting your own practice or looking to add a house call service to your existing practice, feel free to contact us and we will help you get started!